Do you know what a lot of people of Metro Detroit are doing and just don’t talk about? You guessed it! Placenta encapsulation. Many are intrigued by placenta encapsulation, but don’t know much about it. Open your mind, read below, and explore.
Join us at our Placenta Curious discussion coming up!
Sat. April 28th @ 11 a.m.
Embrace Life Chiropractic – 2044 West Auburn Road, Rochester Hills, Michigan 48309
Only the best standard of quality and care is used for our clients. Our specialists are distinctly trained and practice leading safety standards. As ProDoula certified Postpartum Placenta Specialists, we remain in compliance with the OSHA Bloodborne Pathogen standard and maintain certification in Bloodborne Pathogens for Professionals in Placenta Encapsulation. Our transport guidelines follow the WHO’s recommendations for The Safe Transport Of Infectious Substances and Diagnostic Specimens as well. The providers we’ve met with, love this detail & acknowledge its increased safety in a number of areas for all involved!
Your safety & peace of mind is our priority.
What do we offer?
1. Basic Placenta Encapsulation Service (Capsules) – $300 – completed in your own home
2. Additional Service – Tincture – $50 – greater lasting ability for further down the road
3. Transportation Supply Kit, Emergency Kit, & Instructions – included
So what is Placenta Encapsulation?
Placenta Encapsulation is the process of turning your placenta into capsules. The capsules themselves are 100% vegetarian and Kosher, so there should be no allergen issues. It is a two-day process, typically done as quickly after birth as possible.
- Day 1 – Preparation and Dehydration
- Day 2 – Capsules Completed, Tincture Made, and Guidelines Reviewed
Believe it or not, placentophagy has been practiced for thousands of years, and not just by animals! There is nothing that can more authentically help your body recover from the strain & stress of growing a baby, delivery, recovery, and adjustment to your new life than your own placenta. You can also opt for tincture; this lasts much longer than your capsules. Many women choose to have this on-hand for days down the road when they are feeling stressed, anxious, or having emotional lows.
Potential Benefits of Placenta Encapsulation:
- Restores Hormone Imbalance After Birth
- Helps Fight Postpartum Depression
- Increased Energy
- Lactation Benefits
- Faster, Complete Recovery
You can expect to receive 75-200 capsules depending on the size of your placenta, and if you want Tincture. Like anything in birth & life, how you respond can not be guaranteed. We are here for questions & will check in with you to help navigate if needed.
Are there studies? There are a limited number of studies regarding placenta encapsulation. Women who have practiced placentophagy have shared many anecdotal experiences, this is how encapsulation became so popular again.
- Placenta as a Lactagogon; Gynaecologia 138: 617-627, 1954 (regarding lactation benefits in women) – 181 out of 210 women who were given dried placenta to increase milk supply had positive results and saw an increase in their milk supply.
- Placentophagia: A Biobehavorial Enigma, Mark Kristal 1980 (regarding theories for placenta ingestion in mammals) – Of the four theories ranging from protein need to nest cleaning, the only theory they were unable to rule out was “The nutritional/hormonal needs after birth.”
- Human Maternal Placentophagy: A Survey of Self Reported Motivations and Experiences, April 2013 (interviewing women on their experiences regarding placenta encapsulation) – According to the Likert scale, when asked if the experience was positive or negative: 97% reported they would do it again.
Even though all of this may be new to you, the Metro Detroit area hospitals are familiar with patients requesting the release of their placentas. Each has their own policies; typically they will have you sign a release form and the nurses will transfer it to the storing container. We are also available to assist in clarifying any uncertainties with your provider/hospital and making the process as easy as possible.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact us. We’d be happy to assist you.