By Andrea Stainbrook, ProDoula CD Labor, P&ICD, CCE
As the holidays are upon us there are many opportunities for gatherings and parties. These can be overwhelming to a new baby and it’s new parent. Here are some tips to get through it:
1) First determine if the outing is appropriate to you and your baby.
- How old is baby? Brand spanking new? Has the cord fallen off and healed? Did your doctor or midwife offer any suggestions when baby is ready to be out and about?
- What about you? Are you still healing and recovering? Be gentle on yourself. Even just sitting and chatting can be draining. Decide if the activity will create too much stress. Resting and healing can go a long way and you’ll feel better faster than if you do too much too fast.
- Will your family or friends be helpful to you? Sometimes these gatherings can be a time to get help with baby tasks and it is refreshing to get out of the house and talk to other adults you haven’t seen in a while.
2) Prepare and pack all the things.
Assess how long you will likely be at the party and add some more time on to get there. Then make a list of the the things you may need during that time. Some are listed below:
- Diaper change necessities
- Feeding items: nursing cover, formula, bottles, etc.
- Pacifier if being used
- At least one extra outfit
- Burp cloths
- Swaddling blankets
- Wrap/carrier- *Babywearing is great to keep baby close if you don’t want too many people touching your baby*
3) It is not selfish to focus on YOUR family and what you need.
If the holiday party feels like too much it is OK to pass or leave earlier than planned. Don’t worry about upsetting Aunt Sally. Your baby will be just as adorable the next time you see everyone!
- Do what makes you feel the best
- If visiting sounds fun, you feel healthy, baby is ready to go out, then go and enjoy!
- If visiting sounds draining, you feel too tired or weak, allow yourself to stay home. Your health matters most.
Metro Detroit Doula Services hopes your holiday season is filled with love. Our Doula services make for lovely gift ideas! Call us today 586-960-5993! For more tips about life with babies check us out on Instagram and Facebook!