All babies poop. And because of that parents need a changing area station. We got a perfect changing table checklist for you that has all the things you may want in that location!
Keep in mind when you are prepping the area that it is best to have all the supplies you may want during a diaper change within reach. If your home has more than one level you may even want to consider a changing area on each floor. Another option is one changing table location and then also using a little caddy with changing supplies for those quick changes on the floor or bed. You can bring the supplies to you!
As for the changing table itself there are a variety of options!
Some dressers have an area on top that accommodates a changing pad. Whats great about those is the storage is in drawers beneath it and it hides all of your items. There are traditional changing tables that usually have a couple big shelves below and are at a good height to limit your back strain. You can even use the crib! A nice flat place is perfect. Having a changing pad with covers helps too. Most pads come with buckles as well (although please don’t walk away from your baby).
So that you don’t overthink it check out our idea list below and/or print out the checklist too!
Changing Area and Laundry List of Supplies
- Changing table space with pad (2-3 covers) and storage – top of dresser, wardrobe cabinet, in crib
- Baby wipes
- Diapers (2 packs newborn, 1 mega store case of size 1-2) or 20 cloth diapers with covers
- Diaper rash cream
- Olive oil to put on baby’s bottom in the beginning of sticky meconium days – applying before poops makes it easier to clean
- Vaseline – if baby is circumcised
- Diaper pail
- Trash can with liner bags
- Baby friendly “green” nursery all purpose cleaner
- Onesies (3 or more)
- Day time outfits (3-5) – these can also be night time outfits
- Dirty laundry hamper
- Laundry soap (free and clear or “green” laundry soap)
- Laundry stain remover
- Clean clothes laundry basket
- Baby hangers if using closet for clothing
As you begin to arrange your home and prepare for your baby, don’t forget to have fun! If you like crossing things off a list click below and print out our checklist!
Want more information on doulas? Contact us today!